What will I gain?
The On Iowa! Leader position is a unique volunteer experience that offers a rewarding opportunity for both personal and professional growth. On Iowa! Leaders will gain:
- Early move-in to residence halls at no charge
- Valuable leadership experience and enhanced leadership skills
- Opportunities to network with UI administrators, faculty, staff and other student leaders
- Volunteer hours
- On Iowa! T-shirts
- On Iowa! Backpack, hats, and other swag!
What do On Iowa! Leaders do?
On Iowa! Leaders play a crucial role at The University of Iowa by:
- Helping new University of Iowa students feel welcomed and comfortable
- Serving as a mentor to approximately 25 new UI students
- Facilitating small group activities and guiding students through the On Iowa! program
- Assisting with residence hall move-in
- Showing our newest students why it’s great to be a Hawkeye!
When do I need to be available?
On Iowa! New Leader “Interview” Meetings
- Make-Up Interview meetings will be scheduled on a case by case basis
Spring 2024 Required Training Session
- Each leader is required to attend ONE Spring Training Session
Summer 2024 Required On Iowa! Program
- Friday, August 16 - Sunday, August 25
- The On Iowa! program schedule has not been set. Applicants must be available and prepared to work anytime between 8:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m. during the week of On Iowa!
- Required training and move in shifts the weekend prior to programming.
What does it take to be an On Iowa! Leader?
You’ll be selected on the basis of your application, interview, attendance of required applicant session, and ability to meet the qualifications below.
- Plan to be enrolled as a full-time student for the fall 2023 semester
- Be in good academic (2.33 UI cumulative GPA) and judicial standing
- Be able to attend spring ONE Spring Training Meeting
- Available for On Iowa! (Aug. 18 – Aug. 25, 2024)
- Have excellent communication and customer service skills
- Have an ability to work with people of diverse personalities and backgrounds
- Demonstrate a genuine enthusiasm and pride for The University of Iowa
- Positively represent The University of Iowa