What do On Iowa! Leaders do?
On Iowa! Leaders play a crucial role at The University of Iowa by:
- Helping new University of Iowa students feel welcomed and comfortable
- Serving as a mentor to approximately 25 new UI students
- Facilitating small group activities and guiding students through the On Iowa! program
- Assisting with residence hall move-in
- Showing our newest students why it’s great to be a Hawkeye!
When do I need to be available?
Spring 2018 Required Training Meetings
- Sunday, April 8 - 12:00 - 5:00 p.m.
- Sunday, April 15 - 12:00 - 5:00 p.m.
- Each leader is required to attend ONE All-Team Meeting in April
Summer 2018 Required On Iowa! Program
- Sunday, August 12 - Sunday, August 19
- The On Iowa! program schedule has not been set. Applicants must be available and prepared to work anytime between 8:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m. during the week of On Iowa!.
What does it take to be an On Iowa! Leader?
You’ll be selected on the basis of your application, interview, attendance of required applicant session, and ability to meet the qualifications below.
- Plan to be enrolled as a full-time student for the fall 2018 semester
- Be in good academic (2.33 UI cumulative GPA) and judicial standing
- Be able to attend spring ONE Spring Training Meeting
- Available for On Iowa! (Aug. 12 – Aug. 19)
- Have excellent communication and customer service skills
- Have an ability to work with people of diverse personalities and backgrounds
- Demonstrate a genuine enthusiasm and pride for The University of Iowa
- Positively represent The University of Iowa
What will you gain?
The On Iowa! Leader position is a unique volunteer experience that offers a rewarding opportunity for both personal and professional growth. On Iowa! Leaders will gain:
- Valuable leadership experience and enhanced leadership skills
- Opportunities to network with UI administrators, faculty, staff and other student leaders
- Volunteer hours
- Early registration for spring 2019
- Early move-in to residence halls at no charge
- On Iowa! T-shirts
There are two essay questions on the leader application.
Why do you want to be an On Iowa! Leader?
What aspect of the IOWA Challenge (stretch, choose, excel, serve and engage) resonates most with you and how has it impacted your leadership style?
Please contact us at email@example.com or 319-335-1497.
We are so excited to have you join our On Iowa! Team!